We have decided to completely repurpose and redesign our website. We have changed from a business site to an informational site about pets and pet services including boarding kennels and veterinary clinics in the Mount Pleasant, South Carolina area.
For starters on this new website, we are going to look at the various cat and dog boarding facilities close to the center of the Town of Mt Pleasant. Instead of pulling pictures off the various pet boarding company websites, we recently drove around and took our own. There are facilities farther out that we did not visit, but maybe we will cover them in the future.
The pictures below were taken with a phone on a cloudy December day around noon. Sorry about the quality, but that gives the result some realism; don’t you think?
The short description of each boarding facility was gathered from the websites’ meta description of either the home page or the boarding page with the exception of Best Friends Boarding. That note was gathered from their Facebook About Page.
In the future, we envision another page or post about Mt Pleasant veterinary clinics and maybe one dealing with pet shops.
To make this website more interesting from the start, we will highlight one business in each category for a period of time, and then rotate to another. We will start with a particular kennel for our first highlighted cat and dog boarding facility because we recently bumped into the two different owners from 1977 to about 2001. They provided us with some history about the kennel that is interesting.
Over the last couple decades, we have seen new boarding kennel businesses, location changes, shutting down of some kennels and major changes to existing kennels. There were three on Highway 17 that were impacted by the widening of that road a few years ago. One kennel closed, another kept operating but lost an entire building, and the third lost some accessibility and has moved. The center of the center is now about four miles further north than it was a decade ago. (This is based on doing a search in Google for “Mount Pleasant, SC”. A few years back, the Google map used to show the marker close to the intersection of Chuck Dawley Blvd and Ben Sawyer Blvd. Now the marker is in Town Center on Hiqhway 17.) The population has increased eight-fold over the last forty years, creating the need for more kennel capacity along with the opportunity of the entrepreneurs that wish to provide it.
There is one that is simply set up in a house and designed as a place for dogs to lounge on the floor and sofas. There are two that were built using expensive architectural drawings. And there are a bunch of boarding facilities in between those extremes. I believe that in all instances the owners spent plenty of time before building/renovating and opening for business reviewing the advice and guidance of the American Kennel Club, Small Business Administration, and other guidance from the South Carolina government and unofficial sources. It is interesting to look at the various ways to solve the waste issue, especially for those kennels that use the existing framework of a warehouse or strip mall.
1. Pet Keepers Cat & Dog Boarding Kennel – Mt Pleasant SC 29464 Boarding Kennel – A Sweet Home Away from Home. Dog Boarding, Cat Boarding, Dog Daycare and Pet Bathing. (843) 849-8866.
Back in 1959, the late Dr. J.O. Shuler built and opened Mount Pleasant Animal Hospital. The first building constructed was originally heated with a fireplace and is the current office of Pet Keepers. The next building to go up was the main boarding kennel building. Over time another couple buildings were added and the initial building was used for surgery and x-ray. The veterinary and boarding practice was taken over by J.O.’s nephew in the early 1990’s. In 1994, the boarding portion of the practice was sold. At that point it was named Pet Keepers and the original building was remodeled into the front office for the boarding business with the back part of it being the cat boarding area. That owner sold it back to the veterinary practice and that is who currently owns it.
The building site is on some of the highest elevation ground in Mt Pleasant. The solid cinder block construction and thick concrete slab floors have withstood the harshest weather since 1959.
Pet Keepers is primarily a cat and dog boarding facility that offers bathing services. There is no grooming other than nail trims. In addition to overnight kenneling, they offer day care for both cats and dogs.
2. Doggie Heaven Daycare – Cageless Boarding.
3. My Three Dogs is your premier dog grooming and boarding company with convenient locations in Mount Pleasant and Summerville, South Carolina.
4. Best Friends Boarding – Premium dog and cat care facility. We offer overnight boarding for your pets 365 days per year. In addition, you may reserve a day care spot for your pet Monday through Friday and/or have your dog bathed and pampered for a day.
5. Purely Positive Dog Training – Dog Training Classes and Obedience Lessons in Charleston, SC, Mt. Pleasant, N. Charleston, West W Ashley, James Island, Folly Beach, IOP, Hanahan.
6. Paws in Paradise – Mount Pleasant, SC. Doggie Daycare, Boarding, Grooming.
7. Cats Only – Do you need someone to look after your feline family member the next time you have to leave town? Could your furry friend use a pampering session? Why ..
8. My Three Dogs – Second Mt Pleasant location. This one on Highway 17.
9. Grooming Designers & East Cooper Pet Motel – Professional Dog Groomer. I ensure your pets, dog grooming or cat grooming experience is an enjoyable one. Providing dog grooming services for over 30 years at our Mount Pleasant location.
10. Alpha Dog Training and Pooch Palace – Serving Charleston SC and Mt. Pleasant SC for over 18 years. We specialize in the basics, including problem behavior modification and basic obedience. We also do advanced training. We also own and operate the Pooch Palace, Charlestons biggest, best, most fun dog kennel and dog daycare in all of Charleston and Mount Pleasant.
11. Paw Plaza Hotel – Upscale pet boarding facility and kennel in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.